Protein is required for muscle repair, maintenance, and growth.
As part of meeting a healthy and balanced diet, individuals should consume adequate amounts of protein to support their muscles, bones, and skin, to provide themselves with energy, and to keep them feeling satisfied between meals.
Physical activity causes stimulation to our muscles and protein in our diet provides the building blocks required to grow these muscles. Protein also plays a role in keeping us full after a meal and in between meals and helps us to achieve and maintain a healthy weight alongside physical activity.
Spreading protein across the day with a protein source being included in each meal and snack consumed, can help individuals meet their daily requirements and keep them feeling satisfied throughout the day.
What are some examples of protein-rich foods?
- Lean meat such as skinless chicken or beef.
- Fish such as salmon or white fish.
- Legumes such as beans, chickpeas, and lentils.
- Nuts and seeds.
Protein-rich meal ideas
- Eggs, cheese, lentils, spinach, and tomatoes.
- Nourish bowl.
- Shredded chicken or a can of tuna, kidney beans, brown rice, and choice of salad.
- Grilled fish and veggies.
- Salmon cooked in lemon, herbs, and olive oil with roasted sweet potato and a lentil salad.
- Chicken wrap
- Skinless chicken with Greek yogurt dressing and cheese in a wholegrain wrap with a choice of salad.
- Tofu stir-fry
- Tofu marinated in soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, and olive oil, with noodles and mixed vegetables.
Protein-rich snack ideas
- Yogurt parfait
- Greek yogurt with muesli, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, and mixed berries.
- Protein smoothie
- Banana, peanut butter, Greek yogurt, rolled oats, and almond milk (add a scoop of protein powder, if desired).
- Hummus with vegetable sticks and wholegrain crackers.
Try one of these meal or snack ideas to get a delicious and satisfying protein-hit!